Performance and Pledge Prizes
Everyone who registers receives a free Kingdom Swim T-Shirt, and a free, introductory, two week membership at IROC (Out of towners can use this while you are here for the swim) Additional prizes for performance and for pledging are being added every week until the day of the event. Here’s what we have gathered so far:
We take our open water swimming seriously. We reward performance, we reward perseverance, we reward completion, and we pull the rest of you from the water at 3:00 pm and give you cocoa or whatever else is available, your preference. Here are our “performance” prizes.
- Hand carved commemorative walking sticks will be presented to the male and female winners of the ten mile, non wet suit swims.
- Cedar Wood “medals” (we call them “woodals” for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers in various categories.
- Various size jugs of Maple Syrup from Couture’s Maple Shop & B&B, and bags of Beef Jerky from Brault’s Slaughterhouse will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers in various categories.
- Clay Rocks from the Chairman’s Beach will be awarded to all finishers.
- Last One Back to the Barn Award for true “fist in the face of reality” attitude and extraordinary perseverance. (You don’t have to be last to win this award, just a stubborn cuss.) This award is a complete set of the work to date of Howard Frank Mosher, personally autographed by the author himself. (And if we can’t find him, we’ll get somebody else to sign these damn books.) Click here for more info.
- George Hunihan, For the Love of the Swim Award. This is one of the most prestigious awards given out at Kingdom Swim – a dinner for two at the Eastside Restaurant to that swimmer who best exemplifies the spirit of all of IROC’s summer athletic events: “Just for the Fun of It.” It is named after the first recipient of this award, George Hunihan, channel crosser extraordinaire.
High Pledging Prizes
On the other hand, this is a charity swim, and cash is king!! We have some wonderful rewards for high levels of donations. Many of our swimmers are already using the Support Your Swimmer section of the web site to invite friends, families, and employers to donate in support of their swim. All donations go to sustaining IROC’s Healthy Changes Initiative, an exercise program for people suffering from chronic conditions such as diabetes, obesity, or heart disease. All donations in support of a particular swimmer from whatever source (whether by the swimmer or by others) are tallied up and counted toward the High Pledge awards. They also qualify swimmers for our special thank you rewards listed in the next section. Here’s how it works. High Pledge gets first choice of the following rewards. Second highest pledge gets second choice, etc.
- Alcatraz Swim, guided by Swim Artis simply a “must do mile” for every serious (or not so serious) long distance swimmer.
- Ned Denison’s 2011 Cork Ireland Long Distance Swim Camp, is available only for those who complete the 10 mile swim. This nine day camp is the perfect “next stop” along the way to an English Channel crossing.
- A one week swim camp in Maine provided by SwimVacation.
- A wet suit by XTERRA.
- One year family memberships at IROC.
- A four pack of downhill ski tickets at Jay Peak. Provided by Jay Peak Ski Resort.
- Additional “pledge prizes” are being collected and will continue to be added right up to the day of the event.
Any and all donations received by us on or before noon on the day of the swim will be counted in awarding these high pledge prizes. Selections will be made at our award ceremony on Prouty Beach after the swim.
Pledging Rewards for All
We are also offering a wide variety ways to commemorate your participation in Kingdom Swim based on additional donations. Why? Because our mothers taught us to say, “Thank You” especially to strangers bearing gifts and cash. We appreciate your generosity and we are happy to welcome you to Kingdom Swim. Here they are, for additional donations you are qualified for particular thank you gifts:
- Kingdom Swim Short Sleeve T-Shirts $25
- Kingdom Swim Long Sleeve T-Shirts $35
- Kingdom Swim hats $35
- Kingdom Swim zippered 9 oz Hoodie Sweat Shirts $100
- Kingdom Swim Sweat Pants $100
- Kingdom Swim 12 oz Hoodie Sweat Shirts $150
- Last One Back to the Barn Award (Yes it can also be bought) $1,000
In order to qualify for these thank you gifts, donations must be received by June 1st and you must have let us know what exactly you want. Alicia Markey, a strong open water swimmer and triathlete from Delaware, is also an impressive graphic artist and has designed our Kingdom Swim Poster and our Kingdom Swim T-Shirts and Sweat Shirts. You can check out the design by clicking here.
If all of this “donation” talk is just not for you, that’s fine with us. We hope that you will enjoy your swim, enjoy your time in the heart of the Northeast Kingdom, and return for many years to come. Your participation in this event means a lot to us. It also means a lot to the “Next Generation” of open water swimmers. This event has already inspired a whole group of kids and adults to stretch themselves, jump into some open water, and swim!!! How great is that?